Brain Treatment and Therapy
Brain treatment therapy, also known as neurological rehabilitation, is a specialty of Brent Furnish D.C., Chiropractic in Louisville, KY. Functional Neurology is a complex therapeutic process. Particularly, it aims to improve brain function in individuals with various neurological malfunctions.
Traditionally, neurology tends to look at the disease of the nervous system as “black-and-white,” with white being optimal neurological function and black being neurological pathology. However, functional Neurology looks at the dysfunction of the nervous system as different “SHADES OF GRAY.” As a result, this approach looks for subtle changes in the nervous system BEFORE they become distinct pathologies.
Brain Treatment Therapy also differs from traditional neurology in that it is:
- HOLISTIC: it should cater to the physical, cognitive, and psychological aspects of the patient.
- PATIENT FOCUS: customize therapy according to the patient’s neurological needs. Stimulation of the patient’s nervous system must be specific to the particular patient. Therefore, this cannot be a generalized or “cookbook” type program. Additionally, general treatments run the risk of exciting an area of the nervous system already overexcited or stimulating an area that should not be stimulated.
- PARTICIPATORY: the patient and, in many cases their families, must be active in the therapy process for optimal recovery.
- SPARING: therapy should aim at empowering the patient to maximize their recovery and independence. Additionally, it should reduce physical impairment and the reliance on mobility aids (i.e., canes, walkers, wheelchairs, etc.)
- CONDITIONS COMMONLY TREATED BY BRAIN TREATMENT AND THERAPY: movement disorders, balance problems, decreased ability to walk, vertigo, dizziness, and various degrees of cognitive function loss. In addition, they treat multiple degrees of memory loss, traumatic brain injuries recovery, and stroke recovery.
- OTHER CONDITIONS INCLUDE: cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s disease, spinal cord injuries, various peripheral neuropathies, migraines, and tension headaches, as well as tremors (intentional and non-intentional), chronic neck and back pain, numbness in extremities, and various psychological concomitants, to mention a few.
FOUR FACTORS THAT ARE OF HIGH IMPORTANCE TO A NEUROLOGIST ARE:
- First, determine where the failure in the brain or nervous system lies.
- Second, decide what would be the proper stimulation to activate the brain or nervous system.
- Third, determine the health and condition of the failing area of the brain or nervous system. As a result, the necessary level of stimulation is identifiable.
- Lastly, use this vital information to apply precise stimulation to the patient’s brain or nervous system for maximum results.
HOW LONG DOES BRAIN TREATMENT TAKE?
Length of brain treatment will depend upon several factors:
- First, what is the neurological problem(s) the patient is experiencing?
- How much time the patient has undergone a neurological problem (chronicity).
- Other illnesses the patient is experiencing may complicate the recovery process. In effect, the “SICKER” the patient, the longer it will take to recover.
Take this self-assessment for neurological issues. Afterward, we can discuss and plan and customize your brain treatment & therapy with Dr. Furnish.
Dr. Brent Furnish – (502) 296-3581
Louisville Chiropractic Neurology