COVID-Related Brain Damage
BEFORE AND AFTER COVID BRAIN SCANS REVEAL DAMAGE TO THE BRAIN
(From Daniel Amen M.D. post on Facebook April 12, 2022. Dr. Amen is a Board Certified Medical Neurologist and Psychologist)
New brain imaging research from the University of Oxford shows that having COVID-even mild cases that don’t require hospitalization can damage the brain in multiple ways.
At the Amen Clinics before and after brain SPECT-scans (functional imaging) of patients who had COVID reveal additional harmful changes in the brain. Based on the latest findings, here are 7 ways COVID (and possibly COVID vaccinations) impacts the brain.
- BRAIN SHRINKAGE: A British study of 785 volunteers underwent MRI scans and a large majority showed 2% or more brain shrinkage.
- UP TO A DECADE OF BRAIN AGING: According to United Kingdom researchers, a 2% reduction in brain volume is equivalent to 10 years of aging.
- THE CEREBELLUM TAKES A LARGE HIT: Most of the brain shrinkage is in the area of the cerebellum.
- BRAIN “THINNING” IN CERTAIN REGIONS: Research shows two key areas of thinning in the orbitofrontal cortex and parahippocampal region resulting in a loss of smell. A loss of smell is one of the very earliest signs of DEMENTIA many years before you begin losing your memory.
- EVEN MILD COVID CASES CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE.
- BIGGER IMPACT ON OLDER ADULTS: The age limit for the worse long-term results of COVID (and possibly vaccinations) is 51-81 years of age.
- OVERACTIVITY IN THE BRAIN’S EMOTIONAL CENTERS: This takes place in the brain’s LIMBIC system. Overactivity in this region can cause long-term depression and anxiety.
NOTE: The above neurological issues may be immediate or several weeks/months before taking place.
HEALING A DAMAGED BRAIN
There is no “medical cure” for post-COVID or post-COVID vaccine-related neurological issues. In other words, pharmacy (pills) and conventional physical therapy does not work well in these cases.
The best possible management for symptoms and a chance for a considerable degree of reversal and recovery of the brain trauma from COVID is:
- FUNCTIONAL NEUROLOGICAL BRAIN REHABILITATION (problem-directed brain therapy)
- BRAIN-BASED EXERCISES
- DIET AND NUTRITION
This will therefore create as much Neuroplasticity and long-term improvement in the patient’s brain as possible.